Monday, July 2, 2018

Retro Girls. Spam and oh yeah, animal people too


Off the air  RCA TV test pattern

I realized today how old retro images from movies are in my head like a background theme; like a hometown where I used to live.  Sometimes when I take a break, I like to have a cuppa and turn on Turner Classic Movies and catch 15 minutes of a film.  The older the better - 30's, 40's 50's.  And the other day I was struck by just  how familiar those images are to me.  I spent a lot of time watching old movies on television with my Mom.  

When I was 12, I fractured my pelvis and after two weeks in traction, all you can do to let it heal, is be off it.  So I was at home for two months.  During that time I spent a lot of time watching old movies late at night until the TV went off the air and the test pattern would come on.  It is a favorite memory.  



Retro Girls features a background of clothing catalog pages from the 1940's.  Our lovely girlfriends are hand-colorized

Retro Girls collage


And hey, surely we can celebrate Spam's 70th birthday!!  Actually Spam is now 81, but I came across images of this celebratory can recently and loved it.  Spam makes people laugh and Monty Python immortalized it in skit and song, but actually it made a nice addition to K-rations for a lot of GIs during World War II, is still beloved in Hawaii and by other aficionados and is my husband's request for his birthday breakfast every year.  The core image in the collage is a photo of the actual birthday can; amplified and altered a bit, of course.

Spam is 70 collage


And lastly, my little town had a classic old-timey carnival to benefit the volunteer fire department. I loved to see all the classic amusements from my childhood, but the 'lemon' lemonade stand really got my eye.  My retro people have a little twist, but they are a happy at-the-carnival family.


Lemonade collage



1 comment:

  1. I remember those end of the TV night test patterns! Love the collages here!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!