Saturday, April 13, 2024

Frida with Billie and Tom is in the neighborhood

It's always a bit of fun for me when I am drawn to include known figures in my work.  People who inspire and intrigue me. They bring such a pop of energy.  Sometimes they are anchor of the piece and other times they are just the perfect flourish, the perfect fit.

I came across the Frida Kahlo and Billie Holiday images the same day. They sat there on my desktop and eventually leapt into this collage. I find them most compatible.  The golden dress woman is Louise Brooks, a silent screen star who also had a strong presence.  I especially like Frida in her suited attire. The women with her were her sisters.


Frida and Billie collage


Waynesboro, Virginia, my town, has a great collection of muraled walls. I came across this one recently.  Tom Waits seemed to hold and echo the mural energy just right.

The artist is  Nils Westergard, a well known muralist and we in Waynesboro are fortunate to have other murals by him as well. He calls the mural Commerce Street mural  'After'.


Tom Waits on Commerce Street collage
Waynesboro, Virginia  Series


As always, thanks for looking!

Till next time.








2 comments:

  1. Your flow with your creativity is admirable! Great to have pops of inspiration and delight in how it comes together like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of these, but I think my favorite is the one with Tom Waits in it. I am particularly drawn to all the elements in that collage. Well done, you! (Deb Booth)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!