Thursday, January 26, 2023

Savannah, Savannah ~ Poetry, Cake & Bunnies and...

Several times we've seen 'those poetry guys'  arrive in Forsyth Park and set up right in the middle of the main walkway.  They bring camp seats and chairs and small old-style manual typewriters, set out the Poetry Shoppe sign and sometimes play bluesy music. Occasionally the guy on the left will try to chat with someone walking by, but so far we've never seen anyone stop for a poem, which I imagine they type for you  in the moment, as they don't offer any printed papers or books.  


Those Poetry Guys Collage - Savannah


I was quite taken by these quirky 'Bunny Girls' and friends in the window of the SCAD shop. Turns out they are the work of a well-known Savannah artist, Ashley Benton,  

I thought it was fun when I discovered myself in the background in this photo of the shop window and was also pleased to find a little enamel 'bunny girl' pin for sale.










Bunny Girls of SCAD collage - Savannah

 

Another day brought us by the Rum Runner Bakery and their wonderful painted walls. I was drawn to the cake mural and made it my focus.

Wall O' Cakes collage - Savannah


The grand old Telfair Hospital building is on our daily path.  It was built in 1884 and was a hospital for 'females', later adding a children's ward and eventually becoming a general hospital.  Savannah ghost tours report it is haunted by Mary Telfair, the founder, who has been known to appear in the hallways wearing a brown dress. The hospital is now a senior-living residence. 

 

Telfair Hospital collage - Savannah

 

I'm enjoying thoroughly my Savannah collage focus.  In February, we'll be heading to our favorite Gulf Coast town, Cedar Key.



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I thought you had said you were going to Florida first- hope this itenerary is what you wanted. Cute bunny girls. Good for the poetry guys- quite novel, that. Fun collages. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!