Saturday, May 6, 2023

Fish and Frida

These two collages began with a single moment - coming upon a quote and having an image appear in a news stream.

I laughed out loud when I saw the bumper sticker- 'fish control my brain'.  I assume it is related to the actual act of fishing, as it was on a car in the parking lot by our river walk, but it just stayed with me.  Yes, fish controlled my brain.


Fish Control My Brain collage

I hadn't seen this particular image of Frida Kahlo before and it truly spoke to me. The spacious window felt a perfect expansive backdrop to the concentration of  her while painting, while the aged brick wall, seemed a perfect edgy foil to her things. 

In 2012, Frida's closet was opened after 58 years. Her husband Deigo Rivera had it locked upon her death.  An exhibit was mounted at Frida's home, Casa Asul - the Blue House, and now the Frida Kahlo museum.  Like so many, Frida is an icon of mine and a regular theme and I've used items from 'the closet' in other collages.


Frida Painting Among Her Things collage 

Till another time.



1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 06, 2023

    I love hearing about your process, and seeing your wonderful finished pieces. Whimsical and otherworldly and just plain fun! (Deb Booth)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!