Sunday, September 24, 2017

Elective Knee, Way Out Back and Love


So I am moving along in my recovery from my knee surgery, or as the docs specifically say, 'elective' knee replacement.  I'm am improving steadily and as my husband pointed out to me, walk better than I did for the few months before the surgery.  It took awhile for the energy to capture the experience in collage to emerge and as I worked, I discovered that the blood clots emerged as the primary point.  I love this robot girl, who I have embraced as my knee replacement avatar.  She is from Mr. Whiskers at Mischief Circus, a favorite image resource of mine.  


The Elective Knee


Awhile back I was taken by a photograph from my friend, Jen Jones, a fellow artist at the Shenandoah Valley Art Center. She called it Way Out Back. She kindly gave me permission to use it in a collage whenever I was so moved.  We both love the kind of 'rusty gold' that you can discover and let it find its way into art. 

Recently I came across a wonderful photograph of Howard Finster, truly one of the giants of outsider art.  I discovered him years and years ago and am ever drawn to and moved by his work. Although he is no longer with us, his art is more present than ever before.  Howard and Way Out Back made a perfect match. The background in this collage is Jen's photograph, amplified and altered and all the other images, except for my signature spirals, are of Finster's art, some amplified, others just as they are.

Howard Way Out Back


This collage emerged from a conversation about the movement to share is it's own expression of love. 'I was deep into this book and I kept thinking that I wanted to share it with you.'

Bacteria to Bach Love




1 comment:

  1. Awesome images! You are soooo creative and imaginative! I too have had to deal with "elective knee" procedures
    and then a bad side effect that I am still working my way through. You will serve as my role model to "keep on keeping on."
    Barbara Bullard

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!