Thursday, January 20, 2022

Ronnie Spector & The Ronettes ~ adieux Ronnie

I grew up in Philadelphia with Motown, DooWop and oldies from the 50's as my contemporary music through our fabulous local DJ, Jerry Blavat, the 'Geater With the Heater'.  He is still spinning records and sharing the history of music on his weekly radio show on WXPN, the University of Pennsylvania radio station.  You can listen to and download his weekly shows here.

The Ronettes were one of my favorite groups and like so many, 'Be My Baby' was huge part of my teen soundscape, along with all their songs.

As it turned out in later years, I can to learn  that Ronnie was also a powerful survivor of her difficult marriage to record producer Phil Spector; found her way out and through and shared her voice on her own terms for the rest of her life. She passed away on 1.12.22.  As shared on her website, 'Her joyful sound, playful nature and magical presence will love on in all she knew, heard or saw her.'


Ronnie Spector 1.12.22 


1 comment:

Thanks for sharing!